Author Topic: Get Kerning Pairs does not seem to work on Mac  (Read 5523 times)

Stephan B.

• Administrator
Re: Get Kerning Pairs does not seem to work on Mac
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 06:36:52 PM »
But what is really strange is that the same files where it was working not did not produce kerning pairs :( how is it possible?

In previous releases of TMP (a while back) and on windows, a different API was used to get the kerning pairs which although could get some of the pairs stored in the gpos table, it wasn't reliable. So I changed it to just get the kerning data from the kern table which is why this might not be pulling pairs anymore from otf font files.

In the end, I really need to get this updated and reading the kerning data straight from the gpos table.

P.S. I am looking to see when the switch was made in the font asset creator dll to see if I could get that working easily for you.

dmcondolora

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 08:27:59 AM »
I'm running into this same issue with TMP 1.0.56.2017.3.0b3 on a Mac using an OTF font. Was this ever fixed? And if not, can kerning pairs be successfully read from a non-OTF on a Mac?

UPDATE: Looks like the problem is in the font file itself, not TMP. I was able to get kerning pairs with a different OTF font. However, when using the font in other software, it's clear that there is kerning pair information embedded. Maybe it's stored in a way TMP isn't checking for?

Thanks!

- David
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:47:58 AM by dmcondolora »

Stephan B.

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
I'm running into this same issue with TMP 1.0.56.2017.3.0b3 on a Mac using an OTF font. Was this ever fixed? And if not, can kerning pairs be successfully read from a non-OTF on a Mac?

UPDATE: Looks like the problem is in the font file itself, not TMP. I was able to get kerning pairs with a different OTF font. However, when using the font in other software, it's clear that there is kerning pair information embedded. Maybe it's stored in a way TMP isn't checking for?

Thanks!

- David

Kerning data can be stored in the Kern table or in the newer OpenType GPOS table along with all of the other font features.

Full support for OpenType Font Features which is essential for non Latin based languages is in the works. I don't have an ETA yet but it is coming.

dmcondolora

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply! Good to know it's in the works.

dmcondolora

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 02:31:42 PM »
It's been a year, so I thought it was a good time to check back in and see if there was a roadmap for working kerning pair support for OTFs.

Thanks!

- David
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:33:16 PM by dmcondolora »

dmcondolora

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »
Bumping once more for an update on the kerning situation.

Stephan B.

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 01:52:30 PM »
Bumping once more for an update on the kerning situation.

Support for Glyph Adjustment Pairs (Kerning from GPOS) table along with Diacritical Marks and Ligatures is close and will be available in 2019.x. Going to try to get it in 2019.1.

dmcondolora

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
Awesome! Thanks, Stephan!

dmcondolora

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 07:36:35 AM »
Was support for Glyph Adjustment Pairs included in the latest TMP versions?

dmcondolora

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 02:00:53 PM »
Hi Stephan,

I'm still wondering if kerning pair support was ever added for the Mac version of TMP. I'm guessing not, as your last update about it was in May 2019, and we haven't had a release since then. Or is the feature in one of the preview releases?

Thanks!

- David