Author Topic: Euro symbol and coding  (Read 933 times)

semeno

Euro symbol and coding
« on: September 03, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »
I would like to write a sentence with the euro symbol: .
If I use windows fonts (comic sans for instance) or even the Arial provided by default, I can't show any , I do see the red cross instead.

I looked into the forum without success. Anything I should be aware of in the asset creator window? I guess it is extended ASCII but still nothing.
I'm really not in expert in all unicode standards (128? 8364?). Do I need to recode the TTF to some special formats to be compatible with extended ASCII?
I could still look for few hours, but I'm sure you know the answer by heart.

Thanks in advance

Stephan B.

• Administrator
Re: Euro symbol and coding
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »
I would like to write a sentence with the euro symbol: .
If I use windows fonts (comic sans for instance) or even the Arial provided by default, I can't show any , I do see the red cross instead.

I looked into the forum without success. Anything I should be aware of in the asset creator window? I guess it is extended ASCII but still nothing.
I'm really not in expert in all unicode standards (128? 8364?). Do I need to recode the TTF to some special formats to be compatible with extended ASCII?
I could still look for few hours, but I'm sure you know the answer by heart.

Thanks in advance

Including the Euro currency symbol in the Extended list (8354) was brought up last week so I already made the change. Until the next release is available, you can add it manually by editing the "TMPro_FontAssetCreatorWindow.cs" file and around line 351 is where the list of characters included in the Extended ASCII is located.

Once you have modified this Extended list, you will need to regenerate the font asset.

Please note that not all fonts includes the same set of characters. So be sure to review the list of missing characters when you generate the font asset to know which are missing.

semeno

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:57:46 PM »
Thanks for your reactivity.
Easy fix to do indeed. Good to have it in next versions.

When I try with a Myriad font. It works perfectly, the is recognized. Great.
When I use "comic.ttf" from windows\font, the euro symbol doesn't get recognized (190 only of 220). However, when I use a tool to view the ttf content (FontForge), it seems to have a character at 8364 position.
Any clue please of what I'm doing wrong?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Stephan B.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
Thanks for your reactivity.
Easy fix to do indeed. Good to have it in next versions.

When I try with a Myriad font. It works perfectly, the is recognized. Great.
When I use "comic.ttf" from windows\font, the euro symbol doesn't get recognized (190 only of 220). However, when I use a tool to view the ttf content (FontForge), it seems to have a character at 8364 position.
Any clue please of what I'm doing wrong?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A lot of tools use glyph substitution which is misleading since you end up thinking a glyph exists in the font when it actually doesn't.

On Windows, I use BMFont to quickly look at fonts as it does not use substitution. Now that I added the Missing Glyph report to the Font Asset Creator, I don't use BMFont as much but it is still handy to have.

P.S. As part of adding support for Multi Font & Material, I am also planning on making it possible to use glyph from other font asset when a given glyph isn't found. I still have a lot of work to do on that but that's the plan anyway :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:19:05 PM by Stephan B. »

semeno

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:07:49 PM »
The glyph substitution is clearly misleading then!! Grrrr
Thanks for your clear and fast explanation.
I will have my Euro sign today! Great news to start the day