Author Topic: Editing Font Atlas + Backup Fonts  (Read 1674 times)

willmchenry

Editing Font Atlas + Backup Fonts
« on: July 24, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »
Is there any way to edit an existing SDF/Atlas without having to make a new one? E.g., if I wanted to go back and add in some new characters?

Another request: For some fonts that don't contain certain symbols, would it be possible to supply a backup font to pull those characters from? (Think something like CSS font degrading, but on a per-character basis). Example below from GlyphDesigner - if I used a font missing these characters, it would pull just those characters from the backup fonts?
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Many thanks!

Stephan B.

• Administrator
Re: Editing Font Atlas + Backup Fonts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »
Is there any way to edit an existing SDF/Atlas without having to make a new one? E.g., if I wanted to go back and add in some new characters?

You can create a new font asset using the same font and if you give it the same name, it will update the previous font asset under the same name. That way you can add characters to an existing font asset. Since this action simply updates the existing font asset, the changes (additions) will be reflected on all object using this asset as well as materials derived (presets) from this Font Asset.

Another request: For some fonts that don't contain certain symbols, would it be possible to supply a backup font to pull those characters from? (Think something like CSS font degrading, but on a per-character basis). Example below from GlyphDesigner - if I used a font missing these characters, it would pull just those characters from the backup fonts?
(Attachment Link)

Many thanks!

That one is tricky and that will become possible when I add the ability to mix different fonts in the same text object. Currently the text object uses only one material (texture) which contains all the characters. In order to be able to use characters from different font asset, it would require using multiple materials and multiple triangle index in the mesh.  Such functionality is something that I am planning on adding to TextMesh Pro.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:16:35 PM by Stephan B. »

willmchenry

Re: Editing Font Atlas + Backup Fonts
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:23:03 PM »
Got it - thanks for the reply!