Author Topic: Bitmap control using SDF bitmaps - make entire UI using SDF  (Read 2000 times)

ChezDoodles

Bitmap control using SDF bitmaps - make entire UI using SDF
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
Hi

I am totally in love with TextMesh Pro - absolutely fantastic!

Now I would really like to make entire uGUI UI using TextMeshPro - the entire UI would be truly scaleable (and not having to worry about scale factor or multiple sets of buttons and symbol assets.

I understand that SDF can only handle grayscale bitmaps - but even for a UI framework that is not a problem when you can add your magic using the TextMesh Pro shaders.

I guess a basic uGUI "Image" replacement and a process to import source bitmaps and make SDF bitmaps would be enough to make uGUI truly scaleable!

Stephan B.

• Administrator
Re: Bitmap control using SDF bitmaps - make entire UI using SDF
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:03:32 AM »
I have had a few users / folks inquire about the possibility of using SDF for shapes and it is something I have begun to think about. I still have a lot of work to get done first on TextMesh Pro but as I said, I have begun thinking about this :)

ChezDoodles

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 01:54:18 AM »
Excellent ... and since I have promised not to shave my beard until my UI is in place, please hurry :)

Doddler

• Beta User
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
Being able to import actual symbols or custom objects into an SDF would be pretty cool. Right now I'm actually adjusting the font directly to create custom symbols, and that's fairly effective.

ChezDoodles

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »
Oh yes - I am also creating my own truetype font with the symbols I need - custom icons for toolbars and buttons - while waiting for the final solution. It is definitely NOT productive. Adding import of custom symbols would be a great first step.