Author Topic: Inner shadow and more! :)  (Read 3422 times)

David Racine

• Beta User
Inner shadow and more! :)
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:13:06 PM »
Hi guys,

first of all, very nice tool. Easy and fast setup, very good font quality, it can't be better for sure SDF for the win! ;D

I got some feature request that will help us having the exact font effect that we want. We already achieve this effect with 3rd party tool, but it could possibly be achieved with sdf font atlas (you are the expert, I'm not lol).

It will be nice to set the shadow (underlay) to inner mode to create a special effect like this:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here's a character from that font:

On that font, we also have a stroke (outline) with a gradient color that is set on Outer mode (mode choice: Center, Inner, Outer)

Here's a screenshot of currently features we are using and that could be a big plus for your tool. (You already have a big part of them and much more lol).

Keep it up the good work!  ;)

Thanks
David

Stephan B.

• Administrator
Re: Inner shadow and more! :)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »
Hi guys,

first of all, very nice tool. Easy and fast setup, very good font quality, it can't be better for sure SDF for the win! ;D

Thanks

It will be nice to set the shadow (underlay) to inner mode to create a special effect like this:

We will take a look to see what we can come up with in this regards.  In the meantime, here is what I came up tweaking around material properties.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:28:38 PM by Stephan B. »

Stephan S.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »
Yes, it would be doable to add an option to the Underlay layer, so you can do things like this:

David Racine

• Beta User
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
Wow nice work and quite fast too lol  8)! That is near our actual font. Did you use glow or you already implement a gradient outline lol? I forget to say that we are developing for mobile,
so we only use your mobile shader. The inner shadow is a nice feature though! xD

Thanks!
David  ;D

Stephan S.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »
Did you use glow or you already implement a gradient outline lol? I forget to say that we are developing for mobile,
so we only use your mobile shader.

Good catch, its an orange glow. And another yes, on the gradient :) (but I think this will be added in the next release)

For the shaders & mobile,  we will know more soon , but all shaders should work on an ipad1.
The selection is more about performance ATM.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:40:05 PM by Stephan S. »

Stephan B.

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »
Underlay Inner has been added.  I am just waiting on feedback on another issue before pushing a new package up.

Here is a quick test image combining Underlay Inner + Bevel.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:38:27 PM by Stephan B. »

David Racine

• Beta User
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 02:43:35 PM »
I just did a quick check to the inner shadow. Seems working well! I'll check with my game designer tomorrow to give you more feedback. But I know he will say that it will give to artist more possibilities if the inner shadow could be mix with a 100% non-transparent face color  ;). So, for our actual game, that will certainly do the job, because we were doing the font with a mostly transparent face color hehe  ;D.

Thanks for your job! Waiting to buy your asset soon!
David
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:16:08 PM by Stephan B. »

Stephan B.

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
I just did a quick check to the inner shadow. Seems working well! I'll check with my game designer tomorrow to give you more feedback. But I know he will say that it will give to artist more possibilities if the inner shadow could be mix with a 100% non-transparent face color  ;). So, for our actual game, that will certainly do the job, because we were doing the font with a mostly transparent face color hehe  ;D.

Thanks for your job! Waiting to buy your asset soon!
David

Underlay is basically a duplicate object underneath the main text object which works great for shadow and borders.  However, when it comes to simulating an inner shadow, given that Underlay is underneath, the face or border needs to be transparent otherwise this inner shadow won't be visible.  That is just a reality of having this object underneath the main text object.

What would be needed in the case of an inner shadow, is an overlay which would be drawn on top of the main text object.  Adding an Overlay is certainly a feature worth exploring.

David Racine

• Beta User
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »
That is what I though and that is why it was only a suggestion to add, in the future, the ability to have an inner shadow with a 100% non transparent face color :). You have a lot to do before adding this feature. That is in fact another feature request lol. But the actual underneath inner shadow is doing the job at the moment :).